Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Beat Goes On

Okay, so it's actually a constant vibration and not so much of a beat, but nevertheless, I'm ready for it to stop. Nick and I have managed to plop ourselves in a home surrounded by four separate construction sites, and the nearby heavy bull-dozing vehicles are about to drive me up the wall. (Unfortunately, my walls are just as unsteady as my shaking floors.) I'm not entirely sure which site is responsible for the vibration of our block, but the disturbance occurs most afternoons and evenings. In a way, it's almost amusing to walk into the kitchen and hear all your dishes rattling. It reminds me of the scene from Mary Poppins where the Banks family must, at certain times of the day, hold onto everything that could topple in their house when the crazy old navy captain on their roof fires the cannon up there. (Or something like that -- it's been a while since I've seen it.) The family is so used the ordeal that they hardly even acknowledge the occurrence and just go on with normal conversation with one hand on a vase and the other holding the hutch closed. In my home, nothing is actually in danger, and there's no exploding noise to damage my ears. It is a little wearisome, however, trying eat dinner with a quivering stomach.
Annoyances aside, I am thankful for the construction, honest! Some of the work is widening a much-used road to eliminate the constant clogged backup. Another site is constructing the annex to the sport center on campus. This exciting addition will provide for our students rock-climbing, a flow rider, and other nifty things I don't remember at the moment. So the rumbling beneath my feet is beneficiary. I just need to remember that. And thank my God for all the blessings I do have, instead of complaining about petty grievances.
A while back I was enjoying the blossoming trees outside my office building as I walked up to the back entrance. The wind was blowing gently, causing both blooming petals and aroma to waft my way. I ask you, who wouldn't be swept with glee to stroll beneath a fragrant blossoming tree with petals swirling around you on a lovely spring morning with blue sky above and -- Then I spied the construction on the roof of the building over to my left. I was tempted for a slight moment to roll my eyes in disgust of the noise and grime and all, but the ugliness somehow seemed unimportant in light of the beauty above me. Returning my thoughts to the trees, I simply reminded myself to "look up, Teri. Keep your focus up!"

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1,2

1 comment:

  1. Hey there nickandteri. Jeff, here. just want to let you know that I, for one, enjoy your blog posts. You know, I don't anxiously check your blogspot two or three times a day or a week or month for that matter, but really! it's cool to here (or read) about what's going on with my happily married friends in Pensacola. And the thoughtful little spiritual insights you share drawn from life's everyday experiences--sometimes, atmittedly I read your blog in place of Our Daily Bread for devotions. Ok, maybe not. But hey, Nick, although I feel a little uneasy about breaking our biannual telephone conversation ritual, I was wandering if you might have a time in the next several days to talk. Maybe you could email me and we could schedule a time that would work well for both of us, like before I go to work at, say, about 4 am. Ha ha. But hope to talk with y'all soon, one way or another.

    Ps. 63
    Jeff C

    ReplyDelete